Since its founding in 1944, TAMKO Building Products, Inc. has continually invested in technology. Technological advances like factory automation and enterprise resource planning have allowed the company to remain efficient and profitable, while reducing variation and maintaining a focus on quality.
TAMKO consistently invests in new technology to improve its operations. Some ways TAMKO has invested in technology include:
- Shingles that were once moved by hand from the end of the production line to pallets for shipping are now moved by robotic arms.
- TAMKO invested in state-of-the-art equipment from Germany when it launched its Awaplan™ product, and allocated a considerable amount of time, effort and money researching the formula to perfect the product.
- TAMKO converted its shingles from organic to fiberglass mat-based when the fiberglass market started to grow.
- TAMKO added on-line laminating equipment to its manufacturing lines when laminated shingles were introduced to streamline the process.
- TAMKO’s sales staff was among the first in the industry to use laptop computers in the field for reporting and estimating.
- TAMKO converted old papermaking mills to make roofing felt for shingle production and converted a composite pallet plant to a state-of-the-art composite decking operation.